Diana Ross - I Thought It Took A Little Time (But Today I Fell In Love) (1976)

 March 20, 1976 - 45 Years Ago Today: Diana Ross had the Hot Shot Debut at No. 59 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart with her single, "I Thought It Took A Little Time (But Today I Fell In Love)." The Michael Masser/Pam Sawyer-penned song was the second of three Hot 100 singles released from her self-titled album which was the second time in her solo career and second time in six years that two of her albums were self-titled. "I Thought It Took A Little Time," peaked at a disappointing No. 47 after the enormous leadoff single, "Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)," went to No. 1 just eight weeks prior and also enjoyed a single week at No. 1 on the Billboard AC Chart. "I Thought it Took a Little Time," was on its way to another smash hit when its pop chart life was cut short due to having to rush the release of "Love Hangover" to obliterate a competing version by the 5th Dimension. "I Thought it Took a Little Time" did become the second Top 5 AC single despite its eclipsed run on the Hot 100. The third single, "Love Hangover," also went to No. 1 and became Ross's fourth solo No. 1 as well as going to the top of the Billboard R&B Chart. The album was also a huge success becoming Ross's third solo Top Ten peaking at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 Chart. Interestingly enough, "Love Hangover," had been recorded by the 5th Dimension and entered the chart the same day as Ross's version but stalled at No. 80. "Love Hangover," was the beginning of Ross's successful career as a disco diva. "I Thought It Took A Little Time" is still considered a Ross classic and is a favorite among her devoted fan base. Diana Ross was the recipient of the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012 and the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2016. Please click the following link to view the accompanying video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaEnmJxW5E

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10cc - I'm Not in Love -Traduction Française- Children of Divorce version

Here's The Amazing Story Of How 10cc Recorded "I'm Not In Love"

Old music: 10cc – I'm Not in Love